Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nursery DIY #3- Outlet Covers

Since we spent so much time painting those dang stripes I just hated the thought of plain beige outlet covers clashing... So I did some internet browsing and the only ones I found acceptable were $16 each (craziness)! So I figured I could DIY some for a lot less!!

I started with the same roll of textured wallpaper that I used for the DIY toy chest (see that post here: )

This time I painted the base of the paper with one of the rejected pink samples I considered for the wall stripes:
Photobucket

Then I took a sparkle stamp pad and gently ran it over the top of the paper so only the raised portion of the wallpaper picked up the darker pink color:
Photobucket

Once that was dry I traced the shapes of the outlet covers on the back of the paper and then cut them out:
Photobucket

I then used rubber cement to glue the wallpaper on top of the existing covers and rubber bands to hold it in place while it dried (if I did it again I would probably use a stronger adhesive):
Photobucket

Make sure to paint the hardware/screws too-
Photobucket

Finished Product-
Photobucket

And the covers on the wall:
Photobucket

I did these for the light switch plates too:
Photobucket

And if you're super safety conscious and/or you don't need to access the outlets you can do a full cover like this... The ultimate baby proofing, lol-
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. How have these stood up with use? I'm thinking of doing something similar to mine, but wasn't sure how long they would last... THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete